29.8.10

Livin' In Reseda

Day Fourteen: 27 August 2010
Start: Las Vegas, Nevada
End: Reseda, California
States: Nevada, California
Milage: 99, 864

So we made it, all the way from Rhode Island to California. We visited 19 states in total and traveled 3, 911 miles. We didn't see it all, but we saw America, insomuch as anyone can see a country. Its something few people have the privilege to ever do, and even after doing it I am still a little bit in awe at what we did. I wish I could say something dramatic like the final day of driving was fraught with anticipation, that we were literally bouncing in our seats to have it all over with. Not really, I know i could have kept going, I think Alyssa could have too. I wanted to jog up to Utah just so our final state count could be a nice round twenty. Had I a car I might even drive home, take the northern route this time. Alas it is not meant to be, besides the house in Reseda needs our attention first. 

L.A. literally seems to stretch on forever, as soon as you cross the mountains the sprawl starts and it doesn't stop until it hits the Pacific Ocean. In truth a lot of it sort of looks the same, lots of stucco and sparse vegetation under a baking sun. Not much of it is particularly pretty, but I can still see the appeal to a certain degree. Our new abode is located right off the center of Reseda, yet is as quiet as any backroad I've ever seen. We're about a block and a half from the nearest grocery store and the house has a pool. From the front it looks deceptively small, and quite frankly a little abandoned. Hidden somewhere in it however is four bedrooms, two baths, and a rather large kitchen and living area. Does it need some work? Sure does, but Alyssa's brother has only lived here a couple of months and works long hours.

We put some major time into the kitchen and floors, washed sheets and moved furniture. I removed a cockroach roughly the size of a shot glass from under my bed (luckily it was dead otherwise I would have had a fight on my hands). We added water to the pool and took a swim. In short, we arrived. Is the journey over? Not at all.